Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Good Christians Who Burn Down Churches.

Today's issue of Salon.com has an interview with Mikey Weinstein, the former Air Force officer who has spoken out about conservative Christians who are proselytizing within the military and in some cases using their rank to push their religion on others. It's an all-around good interview, but this part really struck me:

But I can tell you that I get -- I don't think I'm in double digits, but it started at about 10 o'clock last night; after the press conference in the morning, I've had nine death threats since about 10 o'clock last night. I usually get about two or three a week. They're very grotesque, everything from wanting to gas all the Jews in America and send the corpses back to Israel to threatening to blow me up, threatening my house will be blown up, raping my wife, blowing up my house. We've had our tires slashed, we've had feces and beer bottles thrown at the house, we've had dead animals placed on the front door of the house.

I was in Topeka, on a book tour, and the local Episcopal priest came out to support me and five hours later his church was burned down. And the local synagogue in Topeka, where I was to speak that night, was desecrated with spray paint saying, "Fuck you, Jews" and "KKK," all that stuff.


Holy. Crap.