Friday, June 09, 2006

Friday Animal Blogging

Okay, I said I'd have something new up this week. I lied. It's not that I don't have other things to post, it's just that it would take, like, effort and stuff, so it's going to have to wait until next week. So it's more of the same species.

The other day I came to sit down at my computer desk and a reptile goes shooting out from under a pile of papers. (The desk bears a striking resemblance to a jungle floor.) It was the lovely five-lined skink Eumeces fasciatus. These guys are apparently everywhere, including now inside my house. The skink went running back towards the wall, where my non-functioning air conditioner sits, looking for whatever small gap he used to get inside the house so he could get back outside the house. If only they realized that I love them, they wouldn't need to run like that, but they are very shy creatures. It was hard to get a picture of him, hiding like he was, but I did capture him sans head hiding underneath the air conditioner:



And then I got a picture of him sans body hiding above the air conditioner. This was the only decent picture I was able to get.


You can tell from the blue tail that he's still a juvenile. I lost track of him after a bit, and I assumed he made it back outside. He can't have been too pleased with his situation, giving that a large primate acted as if it were hunting him, so sadly I don't think he's coming back.

The day before yesterday, I opened up my door and walked outside, which I do from time to time, and I saw a pretty little Eastern glass lizard, Ophisaurus ventralis, sitting right on my walkway.



She's missing a bit of tail. I blame the local raccoon. Anyway, the lizard held quite still and allowed me to get very close. The only movement she made was that she blinked, apparently to demonstrate to the world that yes indeed, I ain't no snake. It wasn't until I actually touched her that she wiggled off. Legless animals are completely hapless when on concrete, and it takes them awhile to move anywhere, but the second they touch grass, they're off like a rocket. But I got a great head shot: