Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I Voted

I took advantage of the early voting we have here, and went ahead and cast my ballot today. There was no line but all of the booths were being used. How's that for efficient allocation of resources?

In addition to the candidates for office (which were easy to decide on -- if they had a D by the name you checked it, if they had an R, you stayed away), there were a number of ballot initiatives and amendments. There were something like 15 of these statewide, and another 4 municipal. Luckily, they send you a "blue book" with a comprehensive explanation and analysis (including bullet points pro and con) for each of the amendments, and I studied it and filled out my "cheat sheet" to bring with me. Even still, it's not easy to make up your mind on all of these. My rule is, when in doubt, vote no. And that included all of the municipal ballot initiatives for which I didn't have a blue book.